Allegheny National Forest Snowmobile Trails Opening December 16; ATV/OHM trails will remain closed
Warren, Pa. (December 13, 2016) – The Allegheny National Forest’s snowmobile trails will open at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, December 16, 2016. The only trail that will remain closed is Snowmobile Trail connector #12 (Marienville Bypass) because of flooding.
“With all the recent snow we’ve received, we can open the trails early for snowmobilers to enjoy,” said Forest Supervisor Sherry Tune. She asked users to:
- Stay on designated trails.
- Use caution when on the forest, because trail conditions vary due to the weather and other conditions.
- Remember that many of the trails are used by multiple groups, so snowmobilers may encounter vehicles, groomers, snowshoers, dog sled teams and skiers at any time.
- Be aware that motorized vehicles are not allowed on the Allegheny Reservoir once it is frozen.
The Allegheny National Forest has about 365 miles of snowmobile trails in interconnected loops. Only a limited number of trails will be groomed by the Forest Service and local snowmobile clubs. Grooming will begin when the ground becomes frozen and more snow is received.
Information on snowmobile trail conditions and the grooming schedule can be found on the Snowmobile Trail Condition Report, which is updated every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The first report will be posted on December 16 and can be found by either:
- Accessing the Allegheny’s website: usda.gov/allegheny. The report is posted on the “Quick Links” section on the upper right side of the page.
- Calling 814.723.5150 and selecting option 2, then following the prompts.
For more information about recreational activities on the Allegheny National Forest:
- Bradford Ranger District: 814.362.4613
- Marienville Ranger District: 814.927.6628
- Supervisor’s Office: 814.723.5150
The ATV/OHM trails will remain closed until the trails are solidly frozen and trail conditions are safe. The Allegheny National Forest will send out a media release and post information on the web when ATV/OHM trails open. The 2017 ATV/OHM annual and day passes should be available by December 21.